Wednesday, September 4, 2013

They Keep Each Other Occupied

In the last two years I have learned people have many misconceptions about having twins.  I hear comments from friends, family, and random people.  The most common remark is "They (Dillan and Daniel) can keep each other company."  This may happen for some, but this is not the case in the Quinn household.  If they are playing together, they are usually fussing over a toy or a blanket.  They are individuals and like different things... including things to play with.  They also argue over my attention.  Don't think they are going to sit in my lap at the same time.  Not a chance.  That would be way too easy.  They want one on one attention, not shared.  Don't get me wrong, they do sometimes laugh and play at each other, but not a whole lot. 

We also hear "I'm glad it's you, not me." Although I want to say "I'm glad too because obviously you are too weak to handle it" I keep my thoughts to myself.  Surprising, I know.  Instead I just smile.  I know God won't give me more than I can handle.  We have had to remind ourselves of this when times are tough or they are screaming and won't stop. 

 "You have your hands full" is another one that sticks out.  Do you think they offer to open a door or help in any way?  NO!  They are busy telling me how full my hands are as if I don't know.  But don't worry, I like having my hands full.  It keeps me busy.

The one that sticks out the most, "I'd shoot myself."  I know, I know, people don't think before they speak.   If they only knew how badly we wanted all three of our children, they wouldn't say anything.  When I got this dumb remark I had to speak up.  With both babies (at the time) screaming and David standing there, I looked at her with one of my looks and said, "No ma'am, no shooting here.  We are very blessed.  Then I turned away.  She got out of the line and went to a new one.  I think she knew she had said the wrong comment.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked "Are they fraternal or identical?" I would be rich!  I think it's the only question people know to ask.  I think I used to ask this question of other twins too.  But as I look at Daniel and Dillan, I don't see how they could be identical.  One has blue eyes and the other has brown.  One has lighter, curly hair and the other has straight brown hair.  One has light skin and the other dark.  They have about 4 pounds and an inch difference in them.  I just don't see it!  It gets even better when they tell me they know someone with identical boy/girl twins!  Not possible people!  They have different parts! 

Last, but not least, I love when people tell me about all the twins they know.  For example, "My Daddy's brother's cousin-in-law has twins."  How do you respond to that?  "Oh, really?  Cool." That's all I know to say. 

I say all of this, not to complain, but to share the humor I find in other people.  I hope you can laugh at them with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment