Thursday, May 22, 2014

Teachers

When I started teaching in 2007, I knew that teachers impact children's lives.  I remember all of my teachers from school.  I remember my childhood best friend's Mom, Mrs. Milam, teaching me in kindergarten.  I loved her and she loved me.  I remember sitting on the rug singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with her.  I remember being Ms. McKee's teacher's pet in second grade.  I even remember Ms. Turner spraying air freshener every time someone crop-dusted in fifth grade!  Bahahaha!  Teachers are such a HUGE part of a child's life.
When my own child started school, I realized this even more.  He was with her more than he was with me each day.  EVERY word a teacher says is absorbed.  They remember the fun and interesting activities they do.  They remember how they are treated.  They remember it all! 
As this year ends, I am thankful for David's 2nd grade teacher, Ms. Preskitt.    David is a very intelligent boy who loves to read, learn about anything science related, and technology.  He loves to show people how to do things.  He likes to get things right and really doesn't like to be wrong... not to be rude, just because it makes him feel like he's not smart.  He is more of a follower than a leader and he craves his peers' approval.  He cares about what people think and takes most things to heart.  He worries about things.  His sense of humor is not lacking and he thinks boy things are HILARIOUS, like pooting, burping, etc.  I wonder where he gets that from? 
Ms. Preskitt is creative in all ways.  She has somehow brought that side of David out a little.  As I look at the scrapbook she helped the kids make, I am reminded of some of the fun activities they did.  They made panther hats for Homecoming, dressed as Dalmatians for "Dot Day," made edible landforms, and made themselves out of a plant thingy.  They painted a giraffe, made homemade ice cream, and had a pet alligator named Iggy. 
As I read the scrapbook and looked at the pictures, I also noticed something else.  My child, who hated writing, has become a pretty good writer.  That is a HUGE accomplishment!  Thank you Ms. Preskitt! 
As an added bonus, he even semi-likes crafts now! 
Thank you for working with me and working with David.  He's not always perfect, but he means well.  :)  This parent is truly thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment